Thursday, July 28, 2005

Welcome to eMpTyV

It's been 3 1/2 years since the original eMpTyV: Music Video Reviews website disappeared from the Internet. I was an amateur critic bouncing my site from server to server, the last of which yanked eMpTyV with no warning. I've been a lazy bastard since then, I'll admit, but the timing couldn't be better. Thanks to a roommate who has more than double the disposable cash I do, I've got access to a brand new Mac G4 laptop, wireless DSL service, the deluxe-channel digital cable package and a very overworked TiVo box.

When I started reviewing music videos, in 1994, I had MTV, VH1 and BET, along with a stack of six-hour VHS tapes loaded with selections from all three channels. I was 16, my music taste was godawful, and I spent more time going off on the artists than actually reviewing the videos. Now I'm 27, my tastes have developed somewhat, and I still plan to go off on the artists - when they deserve it. Or, fuck, when they don't deserve it and I'm just plain jealous of their inexplicable success.

Posts will be on a semi-weekly basis - essentially, when I'm not out drinking or sleeping too late or too lazy to drag out the laptop. The lengths of these posts will vary, as will the lengths of the reviews themselves. The videos will be rated on a four-star scale, as follows:

FOUR-STAR RATING SYSTEM
**** = John
*** = Paul
** = George
* = Ringo
zero = Yoko

Your comments are welcome - on the reviews, the videos themselves or whatever pops into your mind while reading this self-indulgent fluff. Over time, I hope to design and archive the site in a structured manner and publish reviews from a handful of other contributors. If you're interested in writing music video reviews for me, let me know. You can reach me at ahicks00@msn.com.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit. Hicks is alive! I used to read your reviews back when I was in my first years of college back in 1999, the only refuge for a music video fan to find anything close to a critical opinion. Then everything went away and I thought you might have just moved on. But for some reason, i decided to put your moniker in the search engine and I find your new site.

It's belated as shit, but welcome back. I've been reading up on the archives and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. It's like seeing an old friend again and still laughing at the same jokes. Best of luck to you and I hope you keep the reviews coming. I love this stuff. You are the gold standard, man.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home