Monday, July 03, 2006

The Jacksons - Can You Feel It

*** (of four)

Regardless of the plastic surgeries, the horrifying stories of alleged child abuse at the hands of their father (I wonder how Joseph Jackson feels about being the first motherfucker EVER to literally beat the black off his child?) and wardrobe malfunctions, the Jackson family has made some great pop music. I know I'm not the only one who's ever bounced my head to "ABC," "I want you Back" or "Dancing Machine."

This video from the early, early 80's (pre-Thriller) still somehow holds up - cheesy, outdated special effects and all. Also, lots of obnoxious sound effects are integrated into the song. Basically, the Jackson brothers are cast as benevolent beings sprinkling magic pixie dust from the skies above to the masses below, bringing love, peace and unity to the world. Yeah, pretty cheesy premise. (You mean to tell me that Tito is going to bring happiness to the masses of the world?)

Nevertheless, this is a poppy, feel-good kind of song, with a killer bass line (obviously sampled a few years later for Madonna's "Material Girl" and a number of other songs) and even though it's not my favorite song from the Jackson family, I'm certainly "feelin' it."

-Guest Reviewer Leon Bracey

2 Comments:

Blogger La Louis Bonita said...

I am so glad to see this site up and running. I was a huge fan of the original -- and still, to this day, no one else criticizes (or appreciates) the art of music video with such energy and intellect.

Anyway, I'm obsessed. Find a way to market it and make a million dollars, please.

6:59 PM  
Blogger La Louis Bonita said...

Whoops, I just noticed the 2006 tag. Nevermind. Fun while it lasted.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home