Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Bon Jovi - Have a Nice Day (2005)

*1/2 (of four)

I've had VH1 on for about five hours now, and it's starting to go to my brain. Bon Jovi's new video "Have a Nice Day" has been on three times, and I'm still not quite prepared for the reality of the awfulness of the song. Or the audacity of Bon Jovi, who's trying to put together a true fuck-you-I-won't-do-what-you-tell-me anthem out of a chorus that goes, "When the world gets in my face / I say 'have a nice say'." The lyrics are one cliche after another, and the music even sounds the same as "It's My Life," "Born To Be My Baby" and half a dozen other Bon Jovi songs.

The video concept is just as simple and beaten into the ground as the song itself. The Have a Nice Day album cover is a black-on-red drawing of a sinister, smirking smiley face. At the beginning, a guy takes a picture of the smiley face on his camera and sends it to everyone in his address book. We get to see all of them react. Then the smiley face logo starts appearing everywhere - on a Dumpster, on the side of a bus, in a crop circle, on a mailbox, on some kid's shoe and in a flyer handed to one Jon Bon Jovi, who gives an overdrawn look of surprise to the camera, like, How much is the publicity for this album truly going to cost? And do I have to fucking pay for it?

It gets old quick and positively annoying about halfway through. I've got a friend of a friend who is such a massive Bon Jovi fan that he has the New Jersey album cover tattooed on his left ass cheek, and even he thinks "Have a Nice Day" sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home