Friday, January 20, 2006

Robert Palmer - I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (1986)

** (of four)


My friend Bambi had a killer idea for a Halloween costume. I would dress up as Robert Palmer - black suit coat, white shirt, black tie, white pants, hair shaggy and poofed out - and carry a microphone stand around all night. And I'd be flanked by four to five pale young ladies with identical eyeliner, lipstick, black dresses, sheer black pantyhose and white electrical guitars. Then we both realized I have way too many fat female friends to pull it off tastefully, and besides, Robert Palmer died in his sleep a couple years back. Which is a bad omen any way you cut it. I'm falling back on my '70s Meat Loaf costume idea instead, I think.

The Palmer girls are on full display in the "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On"* video, as off-putting and robotic as ever. And Palmer's got his trademark black suit and microphone stand, just as you'd expect. But this time there are also Robert Palmer dancers, big-haired girls in white dresses, and the backdrop switches from a painting of trees to an austere white country house. Oh, and there are a trio of Palmer girls in coveralls behind the scenes, directing the video and getting light levels and such. He has an entire Kathie Lee army of bargain basement labor, Palmer does, and when their twenty-hour work day is over, he turns them off and returns them to their storage cases.


* = I love the chutzpah of this song's lyrics: Oops, sorry, I got you all hot and bothered, but guess what? I don't really find you attractive. I was just being polite and kinda felt sorry for you, actually. Do you really think any normal guy's gonna look at that lopsided, bottom-heavy Mr. Potato Head face and horse ass and want to sleep with you? I mean, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home