Thursday, April 20, 2006

Cee-Lo featuring Timbaland - I'll Be Around (2004)

*** (of four)



I love Cee-Lo and have since the "Closet Freak" video. Yeah, see, I'm not that down - I didn't know he was in Goodie Mob, didn't know who Goodie Mob even was until after I'd already bought Cee-Lo's first album. But, shit, I'm down enough to have seen Cee-Lo in concert in 2002 at the Gargoyle, which is basically a tiny room in the basement of the Washington University student lounge. Maybe 150 people in the crowd, singing and rapping along to "Gettin' Grown" and Cee-Lo's verses on "Git Up, Git Out" and "In Da Wind."*

Anyway, "I'll Be Around" is from Cee-Lo Green Is The Soul Machine, his second album. Which renders that last paragraph completely moot. Of course. With Soul Machine, Cee-Lo had the budget to bring in big-budget producers of the moment - here, Timbaland is at the helm. Shit, with all the special effects in the Missy videos, I never noticed how goofy and uncomfortable Tim looks on camera.

Cee-Lo, meanwhile, is the epitome of ironic smooveness. He rides to a party held at his own "Love Shack" (which completely looks the part from the outside) in a Rolls or Bentley or something that has a sexy lady as chauffeur, a guy playing trumpet in the front passenger seat and a dog with a blonde weave in the back seat with Lo. By "dog," I don't mean "ugly bitch," I mean "panting canine," "licker of own genitals," "etc."

Most of the video takes place in the shack itself, where the party spills from the main room back to the kitchen, where a trombone player does his shit amidst the dirty dishes. Timbaland roams the party, while hot girls dance and little kids stare in from the outside. The vibe, as always, is one of comfort, fun and positivity. There's even graffiti on the wall that says "Be Nice or Leave." The whole thing reminds me of the scene in the Wash U student lounge basement back in 2002. Good old Cee-Lo.


* = Oh, and I have a white friend named Brian who's like 5'2" and bottom-heavy who looks just like this dude. That has to count for something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home