Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Will Smith - Switch

*** (out of four)

I was absorbed by the beat of "Switch" way before I figured out it was a Will Smith song. That kind of takes all the credibility out of any venture - and, yes, I am aware that seven years ago I gave three stars to the "Men in Black" music video, and that six years ago I gave three stars to the "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It" video. And, yes, I am aware that as a rapper Will "Fresh Prince" Smith is at least competent. It's just, when his songs come on, you always picture your old, uncoordinated relatives dancing to them at a wedding reception.

Good beat, though, yes - who is the mystery producer they keep showing in the video? It looks like Xhibit, but as a writer who refuses to do his homework, I can only speculate. Mostly, though, in the "Switch" video we're treated to shots of Will in an underground studio, rapping into the microphone; Will in a graffiti-covered subway station, dancing with a camouflage-pants-wearing honey while wearing a refrigerator repairman shirt with his name on it; Will dancing with a dozen or so other honies in a tent-looking white room.

There are a couple other sets veteran director Paul Hunter keeps returning to, but it would be a more than repetitious trying to describe all that. Rest assured it looks like a lot of other hip-hop videos, just a little more tasteful. Since your uncoordinated relatives will have to dance to it and all. I can picture my own 63-year-old Aunt Ruth shouting out the song's "Hey-ey-ey" refrain after a couple zinfandel spritzers when my Cousin Chester gets married for the third time.

NOTE: This review written March 8, 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home