Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The System - Don't Disturb This Groove

*1/2 (out of four)

I work as a waiter, and the Muzak in my restaurant is constantly tuned to the Adult Contemporary station. And despite the "contemporary" designation, I end up hearing the 1987 R+B ballad "Don't Disturb This Groove" every time I'm clocked in. I think I even spilled a large Pasta con Broccoli on someone during the chorus once.

This is the first time I've ever seen the video, though, and if I wasn't sitting here reviewing it, I'd be fast forwarding the fuck out of it. So I can only imagine how boring it must be for you, Gentle Reader, to have to read secondhand my observations of an 18-year-old forgettable pop hit. I'll keep this brief, then.

The band, half-white and half-black, checks into a hotel suite, carrying cases of instruments equipped for what the desk clerk must assume will be a night of kinky homosexual fun. (If you've never had sex with three men, a couple electric guitars and a bright red keyboard bass, let me tell you, you're fucking missing out.) In the next room, a woman of mysterious descent - could be Asian, perhaps Filipino - listens as they play a certain song I have to hear at work every night.

Other memories I'll no doubt carry with me - the lead singer's giant, upward-swept boxcar bouffant, the nauseating stutter-motion camera shots, the insistent foward-motion head bob of the keyboard player as he works his magic and an odd interlude in the desert that has the Asian/Filipino stretching across a big rock while wearing a skin-tight black dress.

A little poking around on the Internet, and I discovered Don't Disturb This Groove: The Album! also features the classics "Soul Boy," "Modern Girl," "Nighttime Lover" and another track simply titled "Groove." Which is also, I'm sure, not to be disturbed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home