Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Fort Minor featuring Holly Brook - Where'd You Go (2006)

** (of four)



During the two-minute intro to this video, which is of the, "I'm an American soldier, I signed up for the financial security and job training and now - whoops! - I'm stuck in Iraq fighting a corporate war," variety, I searched the Internet for the lyrics to "Where'd You Go." Which are of the, "You're my man, now you're gone, I wait around for you to call, when you do I have nothing to say," variety. And which I expected to hear from the mouth of a soulful black woman. Imagine my surprise when those lyrics sprang forth from the mouth of a big-eared white-boy rapper.

Watch the entire video, and you'll discover Fort Minor is a side project of Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park. Who has elevated adolescent whininess to an artform. The "personal" note at the end of the video thanks the three families who allowed their deep, empty loneliness to be exploited on MTV. There are the parents of the Iraqi soldier, there's an only child who is the "man of the house" now that Daddy's gone and spends all his time cleaning and wishing for a twin brother, and there's the wife of a baseball pitcher who loves the offseason and hates spring and summer.

All the while, Shinoda's walking through all their houses, rapping about how inadequate he feels when his wife goes on business trips. Lord have mercy. The whole thing makes me feel like I have a cold heart - yeah, my Dad left when I was barely in kindergarten, but I got over it. Many independent, gut-wrenching years later. We all have our coping mechanisms, sure, but most of us don't feel the need to subject the public to pseudo-emotional Evanescence outtakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home