Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice (2006)

*1/2 (of four)



Remember like three years back, when Natalie Maines from the Dixie Chicks told a London concert audience that she was ashamed that George W. Bush hailed from her home state of Texas? Remember how that sparked a huge outcry afterward? I laughed my ass off when I saw local karaoke DJ break his Dixie Chicks Soundchoice disc in half, mid-show, and announce that the Chicks were traitors to our country and essentially also sonic terrorists.

Which I thought was absurd. Not the part about destroying Dixie Chicks karaoke discs, but his reasons for doing so. Me, I'd pay top dollar to ensure I'd never again hear six drunk bachelorette party girls giggle their way through "Goodbye Earl." When I saw the karaoke guy shatter his Dixie Chicks CD, I was wishing I could convince him that Meat Loaf, Gloria Gaynor, Bon Jovi and Celine Dion were also a bunch of president-hating, anti-American assholes. Celine's from Canada, for chrissake. They're liberal as hell. Let's get a bonfire going and burn up all this shit. Grease soundtrack, you go get in the pile too! I know you voted Kerry.

Well, now the Dixie Chicks have responded to that whole controversy, at a time when the president has a 32% approval rating and America is still in Iraq with no exit date in sight. This should be easy for Maines and Co., but instead of finding any meaning or true feeling in this song and performance, I'm spending four minutes wondering if Natalie's forehead got bigger. I think the stress of the controversy grew it out about three sizes.

The video? A bunch of quiet, performance-art nonsense. Maines is wearing a white dress, her hands are dirty, and she smears black tar all over the dress. The religious figures and elderly gossips are all standing in the shadows, buzzing with negativity. The other Chicks are trying to hold Maines back from her rage. Then there's a passionate violin... er, fiddle solo, and Maines whips out a boxcutter, hijacks a plane and flies it straight into the house of that jerkoff karaoke DJ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home