Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Junior Senior - Move Your Feet (2003)

*** (of four)



The "Celebrity Playlist" section of the iTunes Music Store is one dangerous place for my credit card. I never thought I'd find myself morbidly curious to learn what tracks Jay-Z pumps in the McDonald's drive thru or which Spacehog song Liv Tyler and her husband make love to most often. Instead, I'm downloading all kinds of weird shit (my favorite playlist so far: director Robert Rodriguez) via celebrities. That's how I got to know and love - in a very odd way - this British dance-pop song from Junior Senior. Which, if memory serves correctly, comes courtesy of the Celebrity Playlist of one Weird Al Yankovic.

"Move Your Feet" has dub elements of '70s funk and disco, '80s new wave and '90s electronica, and is catchy as hell despite having no verses and a seven-word chorus. The video, from Shynola, is a charming but extremely low-budget animated effort with all the quality of an 8-bit video game. If you're a fan of pixels, check out this hodgepodge of drunk squirrels, singing hotdogs, banjo-playing children, frowny-faced burning toast, dancing robots and, of course, the guys of Junior Senior themselves. It's strange, it's childish, and if it's good enough for Weird Al, it's good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home